2012年4月28日星期六

Mother Knows Best

>> For personal reasons, I've been thinking about my mother a lot.  I really relished the time spent at home over Christmas so much so that I've been a bit slow on the uptake with the rest of life now that we're two weeks into January.  I lingered longer over photo albums.  I needlessly sentimalised over certain food,dre headphones cheap, objects and films - anything at home that had an anecdote attached.  I'm actively listening to what my mother is saying so that when she calls me up at midnight to say that I should eat more carrots and winter melon because of my poor stomach problems (she's obsessed with nutrition), it doesn't fall on deaf ears.  I'm munching on a carrot right now in fact.

Therefore when I discovered Pip Jolley's jewellery, her latest collection entitled 'Joanne' tugged and twinged at my heartstrings.  For Jolley, it was a an ode to the women in the 1940s, who put in so much effort into their coiffures.  Taking hair curlers and turning them into silver and in the case of the ring, gold and diamonds, is Jolley's way of awarding these women with a "series of medals honouring the time spent creating the perfect coiffeur."  

5553288_orig

9413431_orig

This could so easily have fallen into the category of 40s/50s schmaltzy retrograding were it not for the fact that Jolley has come up with an unlikely object for fetishising in silver.  Beyond the immaculate coiffures of the 1940s though, these plastic rollers are exactly the sort that my mother has and still uses.  No tongs or electric curlers in our house (which is probably why I'm adverse to hairdryers and only allow my hair to dry naturally).  My mother favours these prickly plastic objects, sometimes with a sponge wrapper or sometimes with a clipping mechanism.  I'd wake up and she'd be cooking me breakfast (spam and scrambled egg sarnies) with a few random rollers in the hair.  Never the whole head.  Just a few where she wanted a bit of oomph.  Seven year old me would try and roll them up in my own slippery hair but to no avail because my mother already had a perm so it meant already-textured hair would hold on to those prickles.  I'm already smelling that eggy whiff of home perm kit.  Now I want to give Jolley a hug and a bag filled with lavender.  I don't know why.  Isn't that the sort of thing 40s/50s afficionados appreciate? 

196691_orig

5568136_orig

3463479_orig

Pip_Jolley_09_72_dpi

Pip_Jolley_11_72_dpi

5292559_orig

Besides my self-indulgent bit of personal nostalgia, it really is quite an unexpected object to immortalise as rings, brooches and necklaces and Jolley has got a few of the pieces up for sale on her website too.  The pin curl necklace is tapping away at another memory lane experience - my teenage yearning for 'pin curls' and my many MANY attempts at pin curling my hair only to have my heavy straight locks smack me in the face as if to mock me.  

More related to the theme of the article: More related to the theme of the article:

没有评论:

发表评论